[pianotech] agraffe, (was Catastrophic)

Ed Foote a440a at aol.com
Sat May 15 22:24:09 MDT 2010

 On a broken agaffe:

     Not sure who wrote this, lotta threads...

- I removed the agraffe, the three   individually looped strings, and scurried across town to the "shop",   found an agraffe that would work - cut and looped 4 replacement   strings (one extra just in case) - returned to the scene of the crime,   installed the agraffe and strings - no way that D was going to stay   in tune

 I usually don't replace the strings. Most pianos will allow a sufficient coil after losing a becket's length of wire.  I  lift the coil off the pin, place a rod through it and unwind it until I break the becket at the sharp  bend, ( with control, I don't let it fly around).  Then I straighten another becket's length of the wire, pull it through the agraffe and reuse. I don't remember the last time there was a problem, and if the wire was on individual hitch pins, so much the better because the bends for the bridge pins and agraffes would be in exactly the same place.

Ed Foote RPT