[pianotech] Wegman Grand

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Sun May 9 15:05:41 MDT 2010

On Thu May 6 George F Emerson wrote:

>The only Wegman I have seen was an upright.  It has no pinblock, per se.
>There is a chunk of wood where the pinblock should be.  It is a structural
>member of the back, but it is not functionally a pinblock.  The tuning pins
>do not penetrate it and are not imbedded in it.  The tuning pin look like a
>traditional tuning pin with the threaded part of its length cut off.  The
>pins are held in place by friction with the plate itself.  The plate holes,
>to engage the pins, are an inverted teardrop shape...

There was a maker in Portsmouth, England, named Papps, the inventor
of the Papps Wedge, who used a similar system.  It would be
interesting to know who actually was first to use the principle.
Although his pianos (all uprights) are not, I think, anything
remarkable otherwise, I am waiting to get one cheap and local in
order to look at it carefully.

The Papps has a double cast-in wrestplate.  The two plates are about
an inch apart with air in between and the back plate is bored round
and the front plate egg-shaped.  The pins are like ordinary pins but
smooth, without threading or filing.  As the (right-handed) tuner
lifts the lever the pin is released from the friction at the bottom
of the oval hole and when the lever is released it is again gripped.
I have spoken to several tuners locally who are famiiar with these
pianos and all of them say it is a reliable system.

In principle it seems to me a brilliant idea and I have seriously
thought of incorporating it in a new grand.  The plate would, I
think, need to be of cast iron and not of steel, owing to the
friction-welding problem, and I have not investigated the options for
making the oval holes, but I'm sure it's not beyond the wit of man.
The frame pattern would also need some thought.

JD