[pianotech] What do you call this kind of action?

david at piano.plus.com david at piano.plus.com
Wed Mar 31 07:48:09 MDT 2010

They do get called the Simplex action.  But I don't think they actually are!

I think the Simplex action was something else.  I can't remember where I
have read this, and will need to look it up.

I think the proper name is the Spring and Loop action, and I believe it's
also been called the D-type action.

As I said before, Herrburger Brooks in England made them up until the
1960s.  They only appear in small grand pianos which I guess were
budget-end instruments.

Capleton in his Piano Action Regulation and Repair book
(http://www.amarilli-books.co.uk/ecom/index1.html) says that this action
can be regulated to feel as good as a full repetition action (or  words to
that effect - I don't have his book in front of me).  But I don't think I
agree with that. I've never been asked to attempt any extensive regulation
of such an action, for they are generally in pianos of limited value.  But
every one I've played, feels as if there is something missing - and, of
course, there is!

Best regards,

David Boyce