[pianotech] Tool for plate removal

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Mar 30 14:17:06 MDT 2010

paul bruesch wrote:
> Does anyone use a chain hoist?

Yea, I have two of them. An old worn out one ton Yale, and a
much newer 2 ton Jet. Both were purchased at garage sales over
the years for a total of around $40. The two ton is overkill,
and a slow lift, but the price was right. Before the chain
hoist, I used a crank driven (worm gear) strap hoist with my
1/2" Milwaukee supplying the power instead of the crank.

> IANAR (I am not a rebuilder) but I know one who does use a chain hoist
> and I've observed very smooth, controlled, fluid plate lifts/drops with
> it... and really not a lot of muscle needed.

Exactly. Tom McNeil, I think, uses a differential chain hoist,
which is even simpler.

Ron N