[pianotech] Tool for plate removal

paul bruesch paul at bruesch.net
Tue Mar 30 13:44:13 MDT 2010

Does anyone use a chain hoist?  Seems to me that there are several
advantages:

   - Simpler setup than hoist-plus-block
   - Cheaper initial investment
   - Much better control... no fast, jerky pulls
   - A little bit of exercise

IANAR (I am not a rebuilder) but I know one who does use a chain hoist and
I've observed very smooth, controlled, fluid plate lifts/drops with it...
and really not a lot of muscle needed.

Here's a link to one example... I do not own one.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=996

I DO own a lever/cable hoist, which I HAVE used to pull a plate. DO NOT EVEN
consider using a lever hoist. Just trust me. It's dangerous and extremely
awkward. No, I do not speak from a negative experience (except the awkward
part.)

Paul Bruesch
Stillwater, MN