[pianotech] System failure?

Andy Rudoff andy at rudoff.com
Tue Mar 30 09:45:14 MDT 2010

No, pianotech servers do not use Earthlink.  The issue is that Earthlink and
some other providers (most notably Yahoo! and AOL) sometimes delay or reject
email from a server when they suspect spam.  The way they detect spam is not
an exact science and they sometimes see a bunch of posts from the pianotech
list to many of their members as suspicious.  I have gone through the
process (filling out forms, making phone calls, etc) multiple times for
these providers to assure them their members subscribed themselves to
pianotech and we are not spamming them, but beyond that I cannot control
when they decide to stop accepting mail from us.  The good news is that
their spam detection algorithms usually figure out there's no problem and
let the list traffic flow again within a day or two.

A couple things to remember:

First, if you suspect you are not receiving pianotech posts, just check the
archives and see if it contains messages you didn't get.  The pianotech
archives are here:

     http://ptg.org/pipermail/pianotech

Please do not send a test message to the more than one thousand people on
the list!

Second, if you determine your provider is blocking pianotech mail messages,
help us out by asking them to stop it.  Send mail to admin at ptg.org if you
suspect there's a problem and you need us to confirm it.

Of course, posting this advice to pianotech probably means Earthlink users
won't get to read it :-)  But perhaps it will eventually get to them.

-andy