[pianotech] What constitutes a good "student piano"

Floyd Gadd fg at floydgadd.com
Sun Mar 28 23:23:51 MDT 2010

Hi Don,
The whole point here is to try to gain some traction in the minds of teachers and parents. helping them to think some fresh thoughts about the instruments their students and children are trying to learn on.  The concept of a "student" instrument has been used as a marketing angle by makers of band instruments.  Maybe I can get some mileage out of it.  I am trying to use the term in such a way as to communicate the idea that measuring an instrument against some kind of standard does not only have significance for advanced players.  How often do you run into the idea that the child doesn't know the difference, so pretty much anything goes, in term of the choice of instrument.  I expect most of us have been horrified at some of the "teaching" instruments we have run across.  Sure, it's fine to talk about a good piano, but I'm trying to wake up parents of 7 year old students who say they'll buy a good piano if the kid is still interested when he's 11 . . . .
Floyd
Quote:
Hi Floyd, Why student? Which student? Some one at Julliard may have different requirements than a beginner. I suggest using criteria for selecting a good piano. If it is a good piano it is ipse facto good enough for a student. Regards, Don Rose, B.Mus., A.M.U.S., A.MUS., R.P.T. Non calor sed umor est qui nobis incommodat mailto:pianotuna at yahoo.com http://www.donrose.ca/ 3004 Grant Rd. REGINA, SK, S4S 5G7 306-539-0716