[pianotech] grey market piano's

André Oorebeek concertpianoservice at planet.nl
Sat Mar 27 09:13:19 MDT 2010

On Mar 27, 2010, at 3:55 PM, David Doremus wrote:

> I'd like to add one comment to this, André is dead on, I maintain a C7 in a recording studio that fits his description exactly. But the critical thing I have seen too much of in New Orleans, in rather constant high humidity, is that often the tuning pins are borderline tight, and a couple of times too loose to tune. If these same pianos went to a highly variable environment, Boston for example, they might become untunable very quickly. If they were restrung and had new shanks and hammers they could be acceptable pianos at a reasonable price.
>
> --Dave

That shows that the person who imports them is responsible in the first place.
I know these guys too well. They are out for quick money, of course, but usually have no real understanding of the technical aspect.
They usually hire a technician to get things rolling in a 'more or less responsible way' but when the technician gives 'too much' advice the doors and shutters will be closed.
The shop owners who sell these instruments are usually also dependent on technicians but they too - usually - limit 'their' techs to do basic work and not go too far money wise.

I got tired of this and rather do work that gives me 100% professional satisfaction, 'as far as possible' (;

friendly greetings from
André Oorebeek

Antoni van Leeuwenhoekweg 15
1401 VW, Bussum