[pianotech] Seasoned Wood

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Mar 27 09:00:44 MDT 2010

William Monroe wrote:
> I think the point to be taken home is that though Yamaha dries the wood
> in three different ways, it is a false premise to suggest that one
> particular level of drying will suit the dramatic climatic extremes
> found in North America.  North America has desert climates (consistently
> very low RH levels), tropical climates (consistently very high RH
> levels), and temperate climates in which the RH fluctuates wildly from
> very highs to very lows.  In the end, though Yamaha "seasons
> specifically" the process does us essentially no good here in North America.

I think it does do us some good here. It puts the "season for"
range in the middle of the range instead of at the wet end.
Also, there's a difference between a new piano seasoned for
North America, and a 20 year old anything. From a tech's
perspective, gray market for wet climates does well enough
here in humid areas of the country. In areas where they are
dried extensively by unhumidified heating systems, they don't.
I've seen too many of them here fall apart to think they're a
good deal. Dealers who sell them, wherever they are, tend to
claim the "seasoning" is a marketing myth, and the pianos are
just fine. I don't know how they handle complaints when a rib
drops off.

> I see more reason to accept Yamaha US's argument against Grey market as
> one of cost and supporting a product that was retailed in another
> country - which should be supporting that product.  That at least has
> some "business sense" to it (whatever that is  ;-]).

Yes it does, as does the fact that those gray market pianos
that do fall apart make Yamaha look bad through no fault of
their own. To support them would be to accept responsibility
for them.
Ron N