[pianotech] Vacuum clamping bags

Greg Newell gnewell at ameritech.net
Thu Mar 25 21:16:17 MDT 2010

As I understand it the seams at the edges are no big deal because that part
of the bag is never stretched. The material going inside the bag needs to
have some clearance from the edges of the bag or, it is said, the bag will
tear. Naturally, I'd like to avoid this. I'm guessing that if this were
possible Joe from Joewoodworker.com would have both tried it and mentioned
it to me. I'd love to hear to the contrary but Joe said that he couldn't get
bags made for me with the 5' width. Seems almost any length is possible but
the bag material doesn't usually come in widths much greater than 4 feet.
Vacupress.com has a 5X10 bag and a nice pump but it's still rather expensive
at around $1,300. That includes a 30 mil polyurethane bag. Just looking for
a better bargain I guess.

Greg Newell
Greg's Piano Forté
www.gregspianoforte.com