[pianotech] What constitutes a good "student piano" (was 2nd bad client)

Floyd Gadd fg at floydgadd.com
Thu Mar 25 04:34:17 MDT 2010

I'm resending this post with different formatting.  In the archives at least, the HTML formatting of my original post was lost, so that the outline form turned into a simple list, in which the structure was not clear.
Floyd
Hi,

I'm putting together a brief document designed to inform families and embolden (and sometimes educate) piano teachers about the matter about what is basic for success in lessons.  I'm playing with the idea of a "student instrument", defining it as an instrument that is lower in price than a "professional" instrument, but possesses all the required characteristics necessary for a student to progress well.

What follows is a very basic outline of what I'm thinking thus far.  I would be interested in your feedback and suggestions.  My goal is that the reader is confronted with the reasonableness of it all.  I want to assume an intelligent but not necessarily musically educated audience. Anything that sounds technical and vague (like "tone progressing evenly across the keyboard") would be fleshed out to make it more understandable.

Floyd Gadd
Manitoba Chapter

What constitutes a good "Student Piano"?
BASIC FUNCTIONALITY
   -Tunable at standard pitch
   -All keys and pedals work

INVITING TO STUDENT
   -Keyboard in good condition
   -No feeling of heaviness  in playing
   -Pleasing tone, neither harsh nor dull
   -Consistent operation of notes
         ---No bobbling hammers
         ---No clicks and groans
         ---Tone progresses evenly across the keyboard.

MUSICALLY RESPONSIVE
    -Easy to produce both tender and dramatic sounds
    -Consistently responsive touch

What can you get when you are willing to pay more?

UPRIGHT PIANOS
    -Fuller, more vibrant sound
    -More scope in the varieties of sound

GRANDPIANOS
    -Clearer definition in the sound
    -More satisfying and precise feeling of touch in the keyboard

What options do I have if my piano does not measure up?
    -Regulating, Repair and Reconditioning
    -Replacement with new or used (reference to pianobuyer.com)