[pianotech] Yamahas Gray Market?

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Mar 24 05:32:12 MDT 2010

toddpianoworks at att.net wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a client situation (church) with their grand piano
> not holding it's tune.  It's a G3.  I have tuned it twice
> in the past several months.  After the second time, she
> said within a week unisons started going out.
>
> After I finished tuning it, and sit down to play pieces, I
> was able to knock some unisons out fairly easily.  I went
> back and cleaned up the unisons.  I did this three or four
> times.
>
> I have heard about a gray market with Yamaha.  Could this
> be it?  Thoughts anyone?

Octaves 5-6 primarily? This isn't uncommon in Yamahas, and
gray market or not isn't a factor. It's coming from the back
scale (at least those unisons you knock out playing). Whack
each unison good and hard once or twice, and re-tune, and the
problem goes away. Then you just have the usual climate issues
in churches to deal with.

Ron N