[pianotech] 2nd Bad Client in 10+ Years - Seeking Advice

Michael Magness ifixpiano at gmail.com
Tue Mar 23 18:48:45 MDT 2010

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 9:28 AM, Terry Farrell <mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com>wrote:

> I'll try to make this as short and clear as I can. A piano teacher calls me
> asking $$ for tuning. I tell her my standard fee. She asks if I give
> discounts if she can get some of her students pianos for tunings. I said I
> don't discount. She asks again. Business is a bit slow due to economy. I
> said that I do discount $10 off a tuning for churches or other organizations
> with multiple pianos where I can submit one invoice. She asks if I can do
> that for her and her students. I want more work, so I relent (yeah, yeah,
> you know where this post is going, don't you?)...... Okay, standard $$ less
> $10 for you and your students - if we can get them to schedule on the same
> day, etc. so it works well for me. Agreement reached.
>
> First of all, it took me three visits to tune her Yamaha upright (nice
> piano). First visit I raised the pitch about 15 cents (she did move the
> piano from out of state, and was somewhat flabbergasted that it was off
> pitch because she has it tuned every year). While raising the pitch, about
> 15 little children showed up along with about 5 young mothers - kids
> screaming, TV blaring, moms chattering - you get the picture. I told her I
> could not tune her piano with all the noise - let's reschedule. She agreed
> and apologized for the noise - the new appt. would be noise-free she said -
> we set it for a few days away at 4 PM - I told her it would take me an hour
> to tune her piano. I was over on the far side of town that afternoon on
> appointments and ended arriving at problem piano teacher (PPT) at 4:30 PM.
> She let's me in the door and asks why I wasn't there at 4. I told her my
> schedule and work got me here at 4:30 (with an apology). She said she had a
> date with her husband at 6 and needed to start getting ready at 5. I said
> okay. She said she was uncomfortable with me in the home after 5. I said
> "okay, I understand, I apologize for the confusion, let's reschedule - is
> tomorrow at X okay?" She said that would be good. Show up for the third time
> (Saturday afternoon - she had a recital that evening and I wanted to be sure
> to have her piano tuned for it), give the nice Yamy a darn good tuning. She
> wrote me a check for PR + Tune less $10.
>
> Before I left, she asked me if I could fix her player unit (disclavier
> (sp?)) - turned out it worked okay, but after she played a bunch of pieces,
> I asked her if that was a quiet at the unit would play (the best it could do
> was approaching forte!). She said yes, that was as quiet as it would play -
> and then added that level was as quiet as SHE could play the piano. I said
> something like "I'm sure you can play quieter", she said no. I opened the
> piano lid and looked at let-off. Most hammers were letting off at 1/4" to
> 3/8". I explained about action regulation and how excessive let-off would
> make it difficult to play quietly. She said she understood and that my
> explanation made sense. I told her if she ever wanted to improve the
> [...]
Hi Terry,

I feel your pain, I've been there, recently.
One thought that I didn't see suggested by anyone else, if you have another
tech that you can ask the favor of either have him/her accompany you back to
Mr& Mrs FC and offer a 2nd opinion or send him/her alone.

I recently did that with piano player(pianast is to elevated a term)in a
church who felt the grand piano I had re-hammered, installed new shanks &
flanges, rebushed keys, regulated "didn't sound or play as well as it did
prior to the work being done". We're talking about an american made grand
from 1959 that hadn't had a full regulation since it left the factory or
much else except for lost motion and tuning.

I invited a friend, another tech, to meet with her and myself to ascertain
her complaints, she couldn't really put her finger on anything face to face.

I had discovered from the minister that she really wanted to get rid of the
acoustic piano and get a digital!!

It has been my discovery over the last 40+ years in this business that the
most poorly informed opinions and frequently most poorly cared for pianos
belong to piano teachers.

Good luck

Mike

--

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without
accepting it.

   Aristotle (384 BC - 322 BC)

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service