[pianotech] Upright hammer bore

Hank Lea colopiano at gmail.com
Mon Mar 22 18:33:50 MDT 2010

Hey everyone,

Does someone know how to determine what the hammer bore would be for an
upright? I usually try to copy the original bore but sometimes it not so
clear. What if an upright came into your shop without hammers and you were
asked to put hammers back on? Other than using sample hammers with different
bores and checking how it regulates up, is there a way to measure something?
Figuring out the bore on a grand piano is possible and easy to do and I do
it every time I hang a new set of hammers. What about uprights?

Hank

--
www.coloradopianoworks.com

Musician's Serenity Prayer:
God, grant me the serenity to start each day on a joyful note,
The courage to sing the song of my heart,
And the wisdom to trust you to always accompany me.