[pianotech] Removing a spinet action

Tom Driscoll tomtuner at verizon.net
Sat Mar 20 18:12:37 MDT 2010

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com
  Subject: Re: [pianotech] Removing a spinet action

  With everyone recommending banging the brackets off the bolts, you might want to realize that the bracket metal is not made to withstand a lot of pounding or leverage pressure. Claw hammers? You really don't want to have to replace an action bracket. If you have an upright shank removal tool (you know, the one with the mickey-mouse ears), you can use it to gently but with good force lever the brackets forward.

  The other suggested option of turning down the action bracket studs is risky unless you know exactly how far down you turn them (index, mark, count, etc), then turn them back to the original position when the action is replaced.

  Paul,
   IMO if the studs need to be turned down ( a rare event in my practice ) it is because they are too high . Turning them back to their original position perpetuates the problem.
   My first choice is to bend the top bolts up with a judicious wack once the action is out or if Baldwin (See my other response ) turn down the studs.
   It's not a risk in those cases , it's a requirement .
   Respectfully,
   Tom Driscoll