[pianotech] Removing a spinet action

Randy Chastain Randy_Chastain at sbcglobal.net
Sat Mar 20 17:57:02 MDT 2010

Use a pair of pliers, and place one prong on the tip of the bolt and the other on the bak edge of the action bracket. GENTLY squeeze at little on each bolt moving the bracket slightly and not enough to torch or stress the action, a little at a time and repeat until the action comes loose from the bolts.

Randy Chastain

Take a pair of pliers, put one prong on the end of a bolt with the other prong on the back side of the action bracket and gently squeeze the pliers a little. Do this to each bracket evenly and gently, evening out the stresses so you don't put stress or torque the action. Go over it a couple of times until it comes loose. Don't bang. The manufacturers banged them on in many cases so they can be very difficult to remove. Work smarter, not harder.

Randy Chastain