[pianotech] Removing a spinet action

Tom Driscoll tomtuner at verizon.net
Sat Mar 20 18:05:07 MDT 2010

    On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 3:22 PM, Tom Driscoll <tomtuner at verizon.net> wrote:

      Duane,
       In some factory procedures the action support studs are raised too high and jam the action bracket against  the action bolt. After removing the nut try and use some leverage to pry the bracket loose. Sometimes I tap the bracket off with the handy hammer. You might have to lower the studs if it's really jammed in there.
      They usually have a squared of section that you can put a wrench on.
      Find a way Dude!
      Tom D.

      Subject: Re: [pianotech] Removing a spinet action

      The reason I don't turn the action support studs down, is I don't want to make more work for myself, like action adjustments.
      John Ross,
      Windsor, Nova Scotia

      John,
       Good point and I almost never turn down the studs, with the exception of the Baldwin verticals that have the bracket hole line up with a tapped hole in the plate.
      Once the machine screws are removed the bracket(s) spring up and will NEVER line up with the holes again. I was helping out a Baldwin dealer before the latest Baldwin meltdown and broke a bracket trying to get the thing to line up again. If I remember Dell explained the that the workers jack those studs up with a power tool of some sort and create the problem.
       As to your point about the action adjustments other than lost motion (which actually if present can be lessened when the action is lowered  !) there is surprisingly not much to adjust.For example  I had expected the bass dampers to need attention to align with the bass strings but lost motion was about all that was impacted.

         Best wishes,
       Tom Driscoll