[pianotech] Removing a spinet action

J Patrick Draine jpdraine at gmail.com
Sat Mar 20 14:34:08 MDT 2010

While we can tell you how to remove this spinet action, and we probably
will, I strongly recommend that you find *someone* to demo the procedure for
you. There are several designs, some of which will be a royal headache if
you're not prepared. So, give a call to some folks in your chapter, or
someone who is buying and selling used pianos.
If you snap a picture of this action we can tell you if it's a "less hassle"
design or not (actually, I think it is this type -- do the keys have
capstans (good) or forks and grommets (time consuming)?). Even if you're
lucky, you still have to be very careful when removing the action because
you may easily mangle the dampers at the bass/tenor break.
With the "more difficult" designs you have to detach each "abstract" or
"sticker" from the key, and often the rubber grommets can't survive the
removal and reinstallation process. And the stickers need to be tied down
when the action is removed, and very carefully reinstalled (to avoid
mangling or breaking parts).
Good luck!!
Patrick Draine