[pianotech] Removing a spinet action

Duane McGuire pianoman at duanemcguire.com
Sat Mar 20 14:00:32 MDT 2010

What is the process to remove an action from a 1958 Story and Clark spinet?

Back story:
I've been tuning in my shop every morning, preparing for the RPT exam. As a
tuner, I'm not even close to part-time.  But since I'm preparing for the
exam, I've poked my head out the foxhole, and have been tuning a few pianos
in the wild.  This is how I discovered* spinet pianos!  *

For this piano, I discovered that a a treble string was broken.  I thought I
could be of service and replace the string.  But since the bridge pins were
hidden behind the action, it seemed that I would need to remove the action
to do the repair.    I loosened the nose bolt nuts.  I tugged at the top of
the action bracket, and nothing budged.  At that point, I simply said to my
self, "Fine!  You didn't want to find out about removing a spinet action
today anyway!"  So I prudently let the sleeping dog lie.

It seemed rather cowardly, but that's what I did.

--
Duane McGuire
801-830-5858