[pianotech] Action inertia FW versus SW

Nick Gravagne gravagnegang at att.net
Tue Mar 16 14:54:01 MDT 2010

This is an intriguing problem, David.

Can you offer any more data?

For example, how high are the strike weights? The hammer weights (more
or less)? How low is the DW and how high is UW (more or less).

You say friction is not a problem, any data?

Why do you deduce from the pianist that inertia may be the problem?

You say, "The only area that can be responsible for the added inertia
are the higher strike weights." Most likely true, but the whole package
needs to be considered as (judging from your history on this list) you
already know.

How low is the action ratio now? Are you able to supply measurements
along with method of measuring? Should the overall AR be low for this
action, relatively heavy hammers and (possibly) hammer friction centers
just on the verge of being too loose will cause the action to feel
uncontrollable, and repetition might suffer. The sense being, that once
the key is struck, control of the hammer becomes a guessing game,
especially for rapid playing.

Can we assume that the action spread, elevations and hammer bore are not
in question, or at least not likely seriously so?

May we have more?

Nick Gravagne, RPT

Piano Technicians Guild

Member Society Manufacturing Engineers