[pianotech] Action inertia FW versus SW

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Tue Mar 16 09:54:37 MDT 2010

We often discuss the issue of excess inertia in an action due to too much
lead in the keys.  But how does the inertia compare if you change the
leverage and substitute high SWs and low FWs?  I have  recent customer who
has asked me to assist him with an action that he is complaining about.  The
FWs are pretty low and uniformly located nearer the balance rail.  The
strike weights are fairly high, the balance weight is low (34 grams),
friction is not a problem.  From our discussions about what he doesn't seem
to like I deduce that it's an inertia problem.  The only area that can be
responsible for the added inertia are the higher strike weights.
Interestingly, this piano is a Steinway that had lots of lead and very high
action ratio and relatively light hammers before work was done to it.  The
change was to a low action ratio, low FW but high SW action and he doesn't
like it any better.  Comments?

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com