[pianotech] TuneLab as an IPhone App

John Ross jrpiano at win.eastlink.ca
Mon Mar 15 12:35:23 MDT 2010

When I started out, I took the correspondence course, that was from
what I have learned, the worst one there was.
Initially, I was only intending to do my own piano.
My Daughter's music teacher talked me into doing his, then some
students, then a music store.
It was part time at first, but blossomed into a full time career. I
have been to approaching 20 conventions, and learned a lot from PTG.
When I dropped the university, I had tuned for 19 years. I took a year
off from that, and was encouraged to apply again, so this is my 20th
year, and I am looking forward to next year.
I think you will find that there are quite a few, who started out not
thinking it would turn into a career.
Oh yes, after I had done quite a few by ear, I was not satisfied with
the end result, so I bought a SOT.
It allowed me to give a tuning that the customers liked, and I from
the beginning, have never called anyone, to say it is time to have
your piano tuned.
They call me.
Tooners, will drop by the wayside, but the serious ones will become
tuners.
I have nothing against anyone, who starts out tuning his own piano, no
matter how. It doesn't take them long to find out there is more to it
than they thought.
In some cases it will be more business for you, broken strings,
mistakes etc.
Just as a matter of interest, how did you first become involved in
piano tuning? Was it a school like North Bennett street in Boston, or
a good correspondence course etc.
John Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia.