[pianotech] walking center pins

Tom Driscoll tomtuner at verizon.net
Sat Mar 13 05:50:43 MST 2010

Alan,
 Leaving  dealer issues aside, more info please.
 Grand or veritical and maker and which  centers are "walking" and how many?
The most common center to have a pin walk is the hammer-flange center with butt plates that need tightening.
 Push the pin back in and tighten the plate---non warranty in my opinion,
 If its any other center and more than a few I would consider calling the manufacturers tech rep.for help.and advice on warranty issues

Tom D.
P.S. before everyone jumps all over me for advising to just push the pin in and tighten, I realize that if the pin has walked on an older piano the bushing will "close" up and the flange will need to be removed and the center reamed. On a new piano I suspect it's only out a bit and for not that long.