[pianotech] Group discount idea for building customer base.

David Ilvedson ilvey at sbcglobal.net
Fri Mar 12 12:49:00 MST 2010

You are fixing pianos to sell, right?

David Ilvedson
Pacifica, CA

On Mar 12, 2010, at 10:57 AM, wimblees at aol.com wrote:

Basically, when a new customer calls, tell her that if she is interested in a tuning, and would like to take advantage of the group discount, that if she would be willing to schedule 2 or 3 more tunings for you on a predetermined day in addition to hers (a week or so in the future seems to work well), each customer's piano would be tuned for, say, $10 less than your base rate (which is already competitive).
I have done that to some extent back in Alabama and St. Louis, especially when I drove to a town out in the country. But knowing the personality of the people in Hawaii, I don't think it works. There is, however, a very strong word of mouth community here. I've been told by many customers that advertising only goes so far, but that I'll get more business from word of mouth. (Which we all know is the best advertising. that started to work last year, when business was very good. Most of my new calls were form word of mouth. But since about May or June, when the economy really hit us hard, even the word of mouth has stopped, and I get a mostly price shoppers.

Wim