[pianotech] pitch raise

wimblees at aol.com wimblees at aol.com
Thu Mar 11 13:13:04 MST 2010

Also when you guys drive tuning pins how heavy of a hammer do you use?  I need to get one at the ardware store it's perfect shorter handle and 3lbs.  I have some strings to replace for teh school system.  If I had to use a regular claw hammer I'd be pounding all day.  Unfortunately  I have to for now on the first one because momey is tight right now.  Thanks all
Marshall

Marshall

There's a difference between replacing one or two tuning pins or driving a few pins deeper into the pin block to get them to hold, and using a hammer to repin and string a whole piano. The 3lb hammer you're thinking of getting sounds like a sledge hammer, which I used to restring a whole piano. But for replacing a few pins, or driving them deeper into the block, I use a small light weight hammer. In fact, Schaff sells a small hammer that fits onto your combination handle, called a "Handy Hammer, part # 36 on page 42 of their catalogue. In extreme emergencies, I've even used the back of my tuning hammer. Until you get that small hammer, that claw hammer will work, too.

Willem (Wim) Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
94-505 Kealakaa Str.
Mililani, Oahu, HI  96789