[pianotech] "premium" vs. price

David Ilvedson ilvey at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 11 11:00:08 MST 2010

One way to get your $ up is to provide more service than the competition.   One phone state your service fee and explain that you don't just come in and tune the piano.   You clean their piano, give it a 2 pass tuning to stabilize at A440 (I think SIP is just confusing) The piano is designed to be at pitch and my policy is A440...always.   Pedals are adjusted, including cleaning that area.   Repairs are not included unless I have time left over in the service appointment.   I need 1.5 hours to do all that.   If you think of what travel time and auto expense costs, you have to factor it in somehow.   One thing I do before I leave is to brush the hammers lightly...in mellows the tone, temporarily, but there is a definite difference before and after the piano tuning.

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA  94044