[pianotech] Premium service

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Mar 10 12:11:00 MST 2010

Barbara Richmond wrote:
> I heard a technician claim that dirt attracted (or
> retained) moisture,

Like wood, maybe, or felt? Sometimes I think I've heard techs
claim all possible sides of every conceivable issue there is
concerning pianos.

> Does it?  I dunno--but I wonder about those soundboards
> that have the layer of gunk stuck to the finish.
> Personally, I like clean pianos and my customers seemed to
> be concerned about it.  Good match, I guess.  :-)

I get asked about it once in a while. I even do one now and
again when dust offends them more than the expenditure, but I
haven't seen any reason to think it's detrimental to the
instrument if left there. I often give them brief instructions
on doing at least easy parts of it themselves if they're
reluctant to spend the bucks.
Ron N