[pianotech] How long do unisons hold?

wimblees at aol.com wimblees at aol.com
Tue Mar 9 01:25:52 MST 2010

This subject was probably addressed somewhere in the past, but I'd be interested in any/all responses to this question:

How long do unisons hold (after a tuning)?

I realize it depends on the piano & the tuner... and the season, pin's torque, etc...  but I'm looking for a general rule of thumb.

Thanks...   Bill Fritz, St Louis

Bill

I suppose next you're going to ask how long a piece of string is. There are way too many variables to answer that questions. I've had unisons go out as I tune them, on top quality grand piano with a good pin block, and I've had unisons hold for three years on 25 year old spinet.

I presume you're trying to justify to a customer why a piano went out of tune after a year. Whenever a customer asks that question, I look at my watch.

Wim