[pianotech] key leveling system

wimblees at aol.com wimblees at aol.com
Sat Mar 6 16:21:32 MST 2010

This morning I tuned a 1924 Ludwig grand with a key leveling system I had never seen before. In each key, in front of the balance rail hole and pin is a screw that goes through the key. (see picture #1). The other on of this screw is like a capstan screw, which rests on a felt rail, which is the fulcrum of the key. (#2 and #3). The balance rail is used only to keep it from wobbling from side to side. The key height is adjusted using this screw.

I've never seen a system like this. It's actually quite ingenious, and wonder why it was not accepted by other manufacturers. It did not feel any difference in how the piano played.

Willem (Wim) Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
94-505 Kealakaa Str.
Mililani, Oahu, HI  96789