[pianotech] West Systems New Epoxy???

William Truitt surfdog at metrocast.net
Fri Mar 5 15:28:52 MST 2010

That was me, Joe.  It'll cost you big money to find out.  J

Here's what I sent:

"I believe that I have read that a number of people on the forum use West
Systems Epoxies for a variety of applications, so I thought I would share
the following:

I went to my local Marine Supply store to replenish my West System Epoxy.  I
discovered the following new product from them and purchased it a few days
ago.  I've used it for several gluing jobs and really like it's performance.

The product is West Systems Six 10 thickened epoxy adhesive.  It comes in a
190 ML. self metering cartridge.  That means that the resin and catalyst are
contained in one tube the size of a caulk tube.  Indeed, you place the
cartridge in a caulk gun, remove the retaining nut and plug, and squeeze out
the quantity that you want into a cup.  You then stir it and apply it to
your project.  It has a work time of 42 minutes at 72 degrees, and will turn
to solid in 5 to 6 hours.  It has the consistency of a very thick paste,
meaning that it's not runny.  When it's dry it is whitish in color.  It also
comes with what they call a static mixer, which can be attached and will mix
the two parts as it threads through it.  (You can only use that once, as the
epoxy will set up in it).  It's about 20 dollars for a tube.

What I really like about it is that it is a very convenient way to use the
epoxy.  It is less messy than what we normally do, and does not require the
pump handles.  You simply put it in the gun, squeeze out the exact amount
you want, put the cap on, and that is it.  There is far less waste, as we
typically have to pump out more than we will use with the pump system.  I
really like the viscosity of the paste - it will not drip.  So I think it
will be ideal for applications like gluing pinblocks to the rim and
stretcher.

You can find out more info on the West Systems website.

Will Truitt