[pianotech] The Zapper

Mark Purney mark.purney at mesapiano.com
Thu Mar 4 17:08:03 MST 2010

I don't know, ask the technicians who have claimed to use zappers
effectively, and also have managed to somehow apply enough heat to
unfreeze the bushings without charring anything. I also know people who
can solder fine-pitch surface mount microprocessors with a regular iron,
and then I've seen the destruction caused by someone who isn't so skilled.

I have never used a zapper, but I fully intend to experiment with one,
and if I'm pleased with the results, I will have no problem adding one
to my tool bag. If a client can't afford the recommended solution, I try
to at least leave them with a working piano before I pack up to go. So
far for me, that has meant applying CLP and explaining to them that the
results are likely to be only temporary, and that they should prepare
for the expense of repinning soon. I wouldn't mind having another
alternative, and I do trust myself to learn the technique well enough
not to ruin anything (I'm one of those people who can solder well).

If I was afraid of damaging pianos, I wouldn't be carrying so many
potentially harmful devices into peoples' homes, like tuning hammers,
pliers, voicing tools, CA glue, and all those other unfriendly weapons
of destruction sold by piano supply houses.