[pianotech] Tuning with distractions

Michael Magness ifixpiano at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 18:00:58 MST 2010

On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 10:43 PM, Duaine Hechler <dahechler at att.net> wrote:

> Forget about the birds.
>
> 1) How about a retirement home with the piano in the hallway and in the
> next room, which was an - open - foyer setup, the people having a
> program rehearsal complete with singing, tambourine and various
> assortment of other retiree band noise makers - tom-tom, triangle,
> maracas, gourds with the beads around it, etc. (I wonder how they liked
> me pounding on the notes so I could hear the tuning.)
>
> 2) The home has a "great room" setup, the piano is in the living room,
> the grandparents are at the dining room table talking up a blue streak
> as well as on the phone - and - last be not least - the grand kids are
> all over the house playing with their toys and at various times yelling
> in to the dining room, from their bedroom, to the grandparents and them
> yelling back. And, of course, yelling to the kids when they were in the
> basement.
>
> 3) Oh, yes, and then there was the extreme noises - and - harmonics -
> from an old combo air conditioner / furnace. The motors' loud buzz, the
> duct work ticking, you know the drill. This one even had fluttering
> shutters.
>
> 4) Last be not least, very low ceiling fans that - can't - be turned off
> (otherwise the lights go out) - causing vibrato effects of the notes.
>
> Good thing I had my Cybertuner - otherwise ...........
>
> --
> Duaine Hechler
> Piano, Player Piano, Pump Organ
> Tuning, Servicing & Rebuilding
> Reed Organ Society Member
> Florissant, MO 63034
> (314) 838-5587
> dahechler at att.net
> www.hechlerpianoandorgan.com
> --
> Home & Business user of Linux - 10 years

One of my proudest moments came one day when I was tuning for a show choir
invitational, I had four to tune that day and I was on the 2nd, a Yamaha C5,
in the classroom that had to stay there, no double doors. I was done with my
temperment and starting up the treble when this wamn came in with another
and began looking for something in a storage closet. As she hunted she kept
up a running commentary in a loud voice. There were students in the room
that had been doing things quietly and when I stopped tuning and locked my
gaze on the closet they all stopped and watched.
The woman that had come in with her noticed and stopped answering her,
finally she noticed and looked out at me, I said"I'm not interupting you by
tuning here am I"? As I finished saying it the door swung open and the
director who'd hired me walked in. the woman I'd spoken to left, I figured I
was done for, there. he came over to me and thanked me, he said he'd been
wanting to do that to her for 3 years!

Mike

--

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without
accepting it.

   Aristotle (384 BC - 322 BC)

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service