[pianotech] hammer return noise and update

pmc033 at earthlink.net pmc033 at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 1 21:50:39 MST 2010

Something in this post made me recall something I've been trying to deal
with in the area of key noise.  So far I've seen this only on uprights.
The keys make a noticeable slap/click noise if you hit it and immediately
let go.  What seems to happen is that the key returns, but bounces up at
the front.  The sound resembles a loose keytop.  What I found is that the
key is too loose at the balance rail hole, which allows it to bounce up and
down.  My cure is to close the balance hole by massaging it with a flat
blade (Yamaha key easing tool).  The usual key chucking remedies work as
well.  Just to make sure the key doesn't drop but slide down the keypin
with a little friction to inhibit the bounce.

	FWIW.
	Paul McCloud
	San DIego

Behalf