[pianotech] Duo-purpose Clamps/spreaders

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 2 18:54:27 MST 2010

"Hey Joe Garrett,
I bought a couple Duoklamps by Bessey which will clamp or spread. Are
these the ones you like so much?

I guess they're OK, but they have that pump lever control which I find
hard to put much pressure on. The way they reverse direction is pretty
slick"

Don't know who this if from, but here's my answer: I prefer the ones made by Adjustable Clamp Company. You probably know these as "Pony Clamps".<G> The particular model is: "No. 56". They mount on 3/4" pipe, as Nick has said. BTW, I prefer the "iron" pipe as opposed to the galvanized. The galvanized is cleaner, but has a tendency to slip and get locked up. also gets really nasty rough over the years. No clue why, but that's been my experience. The "iron pipe" can easily be cleaned before you use it. And the clamp(s) will adjust more smoothly. BTW, Most pipe at hardware stores, that is prethreaded, will have plastic caps on both ends to keep you from cutting yourself when handling the pipe. I leave that cap on the other end away from the clamps end.
Another clamp, that separates, but is made for lighter work is the New Irwin, (not Dale<G>), Quick-Grip clamps. Those things are slicker'n deer guts on a door knob, IMNSHO!<G> (for you light stomach types, my apolologies for the slightly colored description of their goodness!<G>)
Regards,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police