[pianotech] String Breakage

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Tue Mar 2 18:19:24 MST 2010

At 17:32 -0700 2/3/10, Arlie Rauch wrote:

>I've had the same experience on P22s.  In recent years when I have
>encountered one of those, I back those two suspect strings off a bit
>before raising their pitch.  I can't prove that is the reason, but I
>have not had breakage when using that approach.

The reason these strings are breaking is excessive tension in the
design, as you will discover if you do the calculations. See:

<http://pianomaker.co.uk/technical/string_formulae/> (excuse the layout)

Letting the string down a bit before pulling it up is good practice
and minimises the risk but it is ultimately just putting off the evil
day when the string breaks because it is designed to break.  The top
strings of the single section and the highest bichords are always the
most likely to be over-tight.

I recently bought at a discount a new Chinese piano from the
distibutor, who had asked me to make three replacements for strings
that had broken.  I told him if I made them to pattern they would
break the next day, took the piano off his hands, replaced nearly all
the bass section and sold it cheap in the knowledge that the bass
strings will never break now.

Somewhere there must be a secret document that tells people how to
design bass strings so that they will break.  Far too many makers
seem to have read it!

JD