[pianotech] Tuning with distractions

Don pianotuna at accesscomm.ca
Tue Mar 2 19:08:24 MST 2010

Hi,

Back when the Big Valley Jamboree used acoustic pianos I was their tuner.
Four eighteen hour days of tuning while the previous group was performing
with 100,000 watts of sound system providing the “distraction”.

I used an Accutuner with a magnetic pick up (one unison at a time version),
and the filter output into a small portable amplifier which I used with
"sealing" headphones, with foam ear plugs so I could crank up the volume
enough to tune acoustically.

Just to add to the problems in the late afternoon the stage was in full
sun. I also had to tune Wurlitzer electric "pianos" and soon found out that
they went the opposite direction to acoustic pianos with temperature change.

One year they tried another tuner with a lower price. The next year they
didn't ask my price—they just booked me to do the work.
Regards,

mailto:pianotuna at yahoo.com	http://www.donrose.ca/

3004 Grant Rd. REGINA, SK, S4S 5G7
306-539-0716