[pianotech] String Breakage

pnotnr at aol.com pnotnr at aol.com
Tue Mar 2 13:58:21 MST 2010

 When a string is at pitch, it's usually  around 60% of the tension that would cause it to break.  (I know that's not universal)  But when we put a bend in a piece of wire, that tiny part is a lot weaker.  And there might be factors, such as replacing a loose tuning pin, where the string was removed and reinstalled.  Maybe someone needed to twist the string to get rid of a buzz.  Working the wire must weaken it further.

I was at a class once where the instructor was demonstrating how a tubby bass string could be improved by removing it from the piano and whipping it on a carpet to loosen the crud from the windings.  He reinstalled the string, pulled it up to about a minor third low and demonstrated how clean it now sounded (!)  When asked to bring it all the way to correct pitch, it was plain to see he was worried it might break.

Gordon Large, RPT
Maine