[pianotech] hammer return noise and update

Gene Nelson nelsong at intune88.com
Mon Mar 1 18:10:28 MST 2010

From: "William Truitt"
>I don't recall you saying what make this piano is, but some keybeds,
> particularly laminated ones, can be very noisy. I have removed the
> mounting
> block that the lyre attaches to on some pianos, and put a layer of felt in
> between its top and the bottom of the keybed to help quiet it down.  I
> think
> I learned that one from Willis Snyder.
>
> Also, are you sure some of the keys aren't chucking and making noise?
>
> Will Truitt

Make is 1913 5'8" Knabe. The bed is not made of laminate but there are some
joints that needed some epoxy when I was filling in the splits early in the
project and had it upside down. Was mainly the support beams and rim and the
outer edge if the keybed.
Before I did any work on the action the keys were chucking. Solved the
problem when I replaced the balance key pins with .162 (original was .146)
Had to ease quite a bit to get them to fit correct and today found that I
had overdone it on several - only very slightly. I have resized the holes
and re-eased and found that it helped but was not the cure I was looking
for.
Gene