[pianotech] WNG parts with Schaff (Abel) hammers?

William Truitt surfdog at metrocast.net
Sat Jun 26 15:53:47 MDT 2010

Don't you love it, Jon?  The dear, sweet boy is THANKING US before he knows
how much trouble we are getting him into!  J

Chuck, you will need a hammer boring jig.  I would recommend a jig that is
supported at both ends so the jig does not flex when drilling the hammers.
Mine is a Renner (from Renner USA)

Good boring bits.  You already have seen the discussion.

Jon is right about ordering the Overall Hammer Length too long.  OAL is
determined by adding the hammer bore and the tail length.  Always order your
OAL 5 mm. or more too long.  That way you have a 50% chance of getting
hammers that aren't too short.  Better still, order your hammers with a
universal molding - way long, and no prep.  No tail curve, no cove, no
taper, no bore, no nuttin'.    Roll your own from there!

I do a tapered bore when needed.  If it's within 1 mm in a section, I'll
bore one distance.  The Steinway A I am completing varied 5 mm from one end
of the tenor section to the other (pretty unusual for a Steinway to vary
this much).  I ended up tapering the bore in that section.  The tail length
I set at 1", so when I installed the back checks, I tapered their heights at
5 different measures in that section.

Jon, I thought I was the only person who arced his tails after I hung the
hammers.  One advantage of doing it this way is that the tails are straight
when you are hanging the heads, which makes it a tad easier to get a nice
hanging job.  I made an adjustable  jig to insert the hung hammer into to
curve them.  I would cut off the excess shank at the same time when I had
the shanks off the rails.   Six of one and a half dozen of another, Chuck.
Either way is fine.

Chuck, since you have the WNG shanks and back checks, I would encourage you
to go online to the WNG website and download the PDF for setting up and
drilling for the back checks.   You can print that out to read.  It will
give you an exact idea of what you will need to have in terms of tools to
both properly bore and place your backchecks in relation to the hung hammer,
and the tail curve radius needed and the jig for it.  The WNG back check
system is a very precise one that will check very, very well when done
correctly; but it uses a different tail radius than you might see otherwise.
It is intended to be used as a complete system.

Most of the jigs you will need for hammer prep, you can make yourself if you
are so inclined.  I made by tail tapering jig to do a full length side taper
on the table saw   Spurlock will sell you a very nice one.  You can make a
simple jig to cove the tails with a forstner bit on your drill press.  Mine
is set up to work in the oscillating spindle sander.

I weigh my hammers and shanks too.  I think Jon is talking about the
Stanwood protocol for hammer and key weights.  Save that for another day,
you're in enough trouble already.

We are sucking you into high level action rebuilding, where all the details
are important.  What is exciting about the WNG system to me is the freedom
to set up the action geometry correctly - the system is modular, so the
capstan heights and location can be precisely set, same for the knuckle
location on the shanks.  Analyze the layout of the action, plug the capstan
holes and relocate them if needed to best set up that individual action.
Custom bore the hammers to that piano, set the tail lengths  and back check
heights, weigh off the action to a custom protocol like Stanwood or
Fandrich.   You will end up with an action that plays like the best dream
you ever had, smooth as buttah, and amazingly even and consistent.

By the way, I was supposed to report back to the Forum about my use of the
different capstan heel for the sharps than the naturals (Sharps 2 mm.
taller)

I think it is the real deal.  Amazingly similar feel between the sharps and
naturals, definitely different than the old way.  It's a little
disconcerting to see the sharp capstans sitting so low, but that is where
they need to be.  I do aftertouch priority, so what I did for sharp key
height was this:  Put a 400 gram weight on the sharp in the down position
and add front rail punchings until the top of the sharp sits exactly a penny
thickness above the neighboring natural in the up position (so the sharp
doesn't bury).  Then add or subtract punchings at the balance rail until it
just trips through let off with a .040 punching on the front rail.  You will
have regulated these test notes for hammer blow, let off, drop, etc.   Do
these end samples, support them, and level the other sharps to these
measures.

Will the players find it disconcerting because it feels different?  I don't
know.  It's definitely a better different though.

Come on in, Chuck.  The water's fine!  Bring your rubber ducky, too!

Will