[pianotech] WNG parts with Schaff (Abel) hammers?

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Sat Jun 26 14:08:33 MDT 2010

>... I'll do some research and order my hammers undrilled.

I order them a little longer than the tallest bore + tail length.
This way I can cut the tails to the same length and still have
a tapered bore. All too often I've seem a long bore with a
shorter tail.

Bore first, then taper. I hang them before I arc the tail.
But before hanging, I separate the shanks by weight
and match them to the weight of the hammers. The final
weigh-off is done after they're hung and arc'd.

I also measure the knuckle height to get the odd ones at
the extremes.
--

Regards,

Jon Page