[pianotech] SAP in Poland

Gregor _ karlkaputt at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 24 00:55:08 MDT 2010

I receive their mails weekly and they called me several times on the phone. It´s real. It´s common practice here in Europe to send pianos to Poland for rebuilding. In Kalisz there is a piano technician school and there live many alumni of that school, so in that city established a great piano tech scene with several rebuilding companies. The Vogel factory by Schimmel is in Kalisz, too. The rebuilding prices are very low and they give huge discounts for first time customers.

I saw some rebuilt pianos from Poland, some good, some not so good. No idea who rebuilt them, SAP or any other company from Kalisz. I have a local competitor who seems to send many pianos to Poland for rebuilding (no idea as to where in Poland). His pianos are sometimes poorly rebuilt. The reason might be that the Polish colleagues work for package prices and are more interested in perfectioning the economical result than the craftsman result. Other competitors send their German uprights from the seventies to Poland for high gloss finish only, the rest they do by theirself.

Gregor
piano technician - tuner - dealer
Münster, Germany
www.weldert.de