[pianotech] Low humidity ok ?

Gerald Groot tunerboy3 at comcast.net
Sun Jun 20 10:19:47 MDT 2010

Any amount of huge variations of humidity is not good for any piano.  Here
in Michigan, it varies from roughly 8 % - nearly 80 %.  There is no way any
piano will remain in tune regardless of how stable a tuning we put on it in
those conditions.  But yes, stability is important.  A major factor in
achieving stability is also stabilizing humidity levels one way or another.

I do have a client that runs a room humidifier almost right next to the
piano continually during the winter months.  It is too close to the piano
but, she has run it like this for 20 years.  I have found no problems with
the piano or piano parts such as sticking keys or rust from this but do not
normally recommend running one so close to any piano.  However, it has
helped because it is better than nothing.  Prior to this, her RH levels were
all over the map and so was the tuning.  After purchasing the humidifier
unit, the tuning became stable and stayed that way.