[pianotech] Question on agraffes

J. W. Stein musicnow at frontiernet.net
Wed Jun 9 14:53:42 MDT 2010

Hi Folks,

I have an interesting situation and I would like to know if anyone has
any thoughts.  I was called in to look at an older Steinway L (257...)

There were two broken agraffes when I got there.  The weird though is
that 6 agraffes had already been replaced.  That means a total of 8
broken agraffes over the life of the piano????

It's rare that I see come across one broken agraffes, but 8????    Any
thoughts?   Any ideas why 8 may have broken?   Should I assume that more
might, or will, break over time?  Could it be a problem with crowning?????

She wants me to go ahead and replace the two remaining agraffes and to
regulate the piano.  It needs it badly.  And the piano, though, way out
of tune, is tunable as least so far as the tuning pins.  It looks like
the pin block and hammers have been replaced over the last few
years...they look new.

Jon