[pianotech] Lever position for hand

Randy Chastain Randy_Chastain at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 9 13:19:49 MDT 2010

I agree with both Terry and Jon. I tune a grand with my thumb pressing
into the hammer. With an upright my palm is facing me. This allows the
shoulder to stay as low as possible which reduces the stress to the
neck and shoulder. The shoulder should be as low as possible. I have
been starting to work with a very good medical massage therapist on
tuning arm positions and stress along with what we can do afterwards
for relief. I've even talked to a ballet dancer and she said the same
thing about  stress and the shoulder staying low. I don't think we can
be compared to ballet dancers, do you?

Randy Chastain