[pianotech] replacing a missing shift lever

Barbara Richmond piano57 at comcast.net
Tue Jun 1 09:45:31 MDT 2010

Hi all,

I've read Del Fandrich's excellent article, The Case of the Missing Shift Lever, in the December '09 Journal. But, I was hoping to be able to fit a "used" lever from the stash I've received from a couple colleagues (Thanks guys, I'll be sending checks soon). Are there any hard and fast rules about where the short arm engages the keyframe front to back--besides where it will fit? Will that front/back position affect how well it shifts? Is there anything wrong with adding material to the keyframe if the replacement lever is shorter than the original?

Thanks,

Barbara Richmond, RPT
near Peoria, Illinois