[pianotech] Gluing Damper Felt

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sun Feb 28 19:24:19 MST 2010

Sounds like a lot of futzing but I’m glad it works for you.  I prefer to just use the Spurlock jig (or something similar) set to the key end felt height and set the levers accordingly.  Avoiding any malformations or quirkiness with the tray felt helps not only with the lever height setting but any problems with sostenuto settings as well.  With most rebuilds I install tray capstan which gets adjusted for the pedal lift after all the levers are set to the key end felt height.  But there are obviously different ways to approach it.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com