[pianotech] 1965 Yamaha G-1

Garret Traylor hpp at highpointpiano.com
Sat Feb 27 07:27:40 MST 2010

Hi Barbara,
I assume the piano is now at the church and not in your shop so it looks like you have about 5 to 6 hours ($350) of work to spiff up the piano (file hammers, level keys, regulate, clean, tune, lubricate, repin etc).  From the pictures either the piano previously had the hammers filed flat (I hope not) or the shift pedal was used a lot.  Since it had this much use I doubt you have a lot of sluggish centers. Identify sluggish hammers with swing tests and re-pin as necessary (once you get setup it is not so bad).  Do what you can for the money they are willing to pay.  I don’t think the epoxy would help (do you have buzzing), probably not worth the trouble until you begin to rebuild in the shop.

Kindest Regards,

Garret