[pianotech] finishing a plate

PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com
Thu Feb 25 20:50:54 MST 2010

Very cool, David. Thanks. 11mm!

In a message dated 2/25/2010 9:49:28 P.M. Central Standard Time,
davidlovepianos at comcast.net writes:

Several  things.  The pictures attached show that the inner rim is
separated from  the outer rim (by design) along the bent and straight side (I think I
 posted  these awhile ago).  The board at the belly rail is 11 mm  thick!
This piano is from 1934 but has substantial amounts of  crown throughout
the panel, I don’t recall off the top of my head but at least  9 or 10 mm
maybe more when strung through the center and a proportional amount  through the
treble section.  That was with ample downbearing.  I  haven’t examined the
ribs closely enough to determine if they are radiussed or  not.  The panel
has no compression ridges and is quite pristine in terms  of cracks.
Interestingly, the pinblock was in two pieces (bass section  and tenor/treble
section which I replaced with a one piece as it was quite  compromised in terms
of feel and torque and I didn’t trust going oversized on  this one.  The
plate is quite heavy and solid from back to front and the  pinblock is neither
attached to the inner rim nor the stretcher.  You  could basically just lift
the plate and pinblock out of the piano  together.    Only bass agraffes on
the plate.  A  restoration project on a family heirloom and an interesting
one.

David  Love
www.davidlovepianos.com