[pianotech] customers

Andrew Anderson anrebe at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 20:44:37 MST 2010

Quite likely the dampers have accumulated crud and are strumming the
strings when the pedal is activated.  Add compacted felt and/or weak
damper springs or a pedal too tight that dampers can't fully seat and
you have a problem.

This sounds like a case where new damper felt will be needed and
possibly new damper springs.  Adjusting the pedal loose may improve
overall damping effectiveness but if the dampers have compacted so
much and are cruddy so that they are strumming on and off of the
strings, there will be no shortcuts.  Question, is the instrument
worth the effort or would he be better off upgrading?  If he has the
potential budget for an upgrade, repairs will only be an expensive
bandage on the way to an upgrade if his expectations are not
realistic.   Of-course you would get the blame for prolonging the
misery.

Andrew Anderson