[pianotech] Kawai Lyre

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 24 09:33:12 MST 2010

Paul said: "Hi, Barbara:
Though I wouldn't call myself an expert, I've reglued countless legs
and lyres which were loose. A screw through the side isn't going to
work in any case. The diameter is too small, and it will crush the
surrounding wood so that it becomes loose again, and useless except to
prevent the lyre from falling off. Neither will a screw driven into the
end grain from the top. You can drill a line of holes so that the
pressure of the wedges is relieved, and then separate the pieces. You
may also be able to simply drive the two pieces apart with a mallet and
a stick or large dowel, depending upon how loose it is. Then you'll see
how it was constructed. Cut a new slot and appropriate wedge(s), and
glue it up.
Good luck."

Paul et al,
Hasn't anyone ever used reversable clamps to separate lyre/bench parts where the glue has failed??? I thought everyone knew about those. Goes along with the woodworker's mantra: You can never have too many clamps!!!!
 An aside: I've been doing some work for a deceased tech's wife, clearing up the existing inventory, etc. Came to an upright with extremely separated pinblock. Started looking around for clamps. A couple of  short pipe clamps only!! This tech was an extremely good one. Really suprised me that he could get along without hardly any clamps!!! Hmmm?
Well, back to the lyre fix. Get the reversable clamps and leverage the thing apart, (care is the key here. Us good padding to avoid finish damage). Assess why the thing got "wobbly" and fix/reglue and clamp! It is always advisable to make a dry run first, to be sure you have the sufficient clamps at the ready, be fore you slop on the glue/epoxy/goat snot and are commited.<G> DAMHIK!!
Regards,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police